How to Walk in High Heels, by Camilla Morton – part one: Marketing

This is my latest acquisition.
I always do this: after a “serious” book (in this case The History of Love by Nicole Krauss), I need to freshen myself up with a “lighter” one. These “undemanding” books share very often the same characteristics:
- they have a very attractive cover (the color pink, long italic writing, and funny explicit pictures are always present);
- they are written by women (Sophie Kinsella, Helen Fielding, Candace Bushnell, Lauren Weisberger, etc.);
- they talk (with a more or less subtle humor) about men and women getting them :) .
You’ve got the picture: I buy (and enjoy and am not ashamed of doing so) chick lit’.
In my defense: I always purchase this in English and use it as an excuse to exercise my reading and keep my vocabulary up to date (as I think Romanian and speak French, I also like thinking this makes me trilingual :) ).
OK, so now that you know about my confessed sin, back to this particular book:
- it is pink (a very pale one)
- the title is written in long italic characters (what a surprise, isn’t it?)
- the cover shows a girl, slightly dressed (home-wear underpants and top), but wearing high heels, supposedly blond, and trying to screw on a lamp.
The subtitle says “The Girl’s Guide to Everything”, which in connection with the girl on the cover would translate to:
- this book can teach you everything worth knowing (even changing a bulb)
- this book can teach you how to do everything with class (wearing high heels).
Now, I was expecting some fun when decided I was going to buy the book (I guess the “blond” = stupid dimension appealed to me more than everything else).
And it is fun: stay tuned for part two, where I’ll be telling you about all the “useful” things I learned thanks to this book.
But what really startled me was the marketing lesson it taught me (remember, I am nothing but a humble accountant, so all the “creative people” out there – please be gentle re. my pitiable remarks).
The book practically produced itself: with all the publicity it contains, lucky Camilla must have collected a big check even before the book went on the market.
Just a few examples:
- forward by a certain John Galliano (no less than the DIOR fashion designer); two paragraphs to the eternal glory of Ms. Morton – “a true Galliano Girl”
- precious getting ready advices by Dolce & Gabanna (one of the most copied brands in the world; visit the Obor Market in Bucharest for more info): “If you have no time, and are really late, do not panic!”
- a complete biography of Manolo Blahnik – “the patron saint of the stiletto” (for those unfamiliar with “Sex and the City”, these are actually shoes :) ), and several tips from His Holiness Himself: “A good heel picks you”, “Don’t follow trends – follow yourself”, “You have to stand tall and proud”
- a full description of the “Love Kylie” lingerie line of Kylie Minogue (famous cancer defeater singer and – lately – fashion designer)
- an introduction to art by Vivienne Westwood (any lucky guesses ? yes, a fashion designer too!)
That’s as far as I got for now (page 190 out of 468), but wait for the real knowledge sharing yet to come in part two!!!

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés